Hospital Stay

While I was in the hospital, Malcolm was in the NICU with an IV in his umbilical chord, and getting test after test performed so they could try and see what was going on with his spots.

TR stayed with Molly most of the time, since Malcolm was in the NICU and Molly needed some adjustment. She was wasn't sure what to think of me while I was in the hospital when they would come to visit. She didn't want to sit on my lap, or cuddle me, or really even talk to me.


I'm not ashamed to admit that my hospital stay was very lonely. I didn't have many visitors because the baby wasn't there. My mom came a couple of times, my in-laws came a few times, and Tim and his family came. A lot of people sent me texts throughout the day to see how our buddy was doing, to see if there were any updates, but most of my time was spent alone. I spent as much time up in the NICU as I could, and when I wasn't there I was sleeping in my room. The two days in the hospital were long, hard days, but I believe the walk to and from the NICU several times a day helped me heal as well. I felt practically back to my old self by the time I left the hospital, which was a real blessing. When Molly was born I was so sore for almost 5 weeks, and it was miserable. This time I bounced back much faster.


Since they weren't sure what exactly was wrong with Malcolm or why he had spots he was in an isolation room at the very back of the NICU. It was nice to have a room all to myself with him. I always felt strange walking through the NICU and seeing all these little tiny preemie babies and getting back to my 9 pound boy! He looked like a monster in there!


While Malcolm was in the NICU Sarah and Johnny came to visit. Sarah was on my list of people who could go see him, and Johnny came to help TR give him a blessing. The blessing was beautiful, and I knew he was going to be just fine. It was so nice to have other people there and to show him off to someone other than in pictures. 


Grammy was also on the approved list to go see him in the NICU. She was there every day he was in there and got to feed him a few times. It was so comforting to know when I was home taking care of the rest of my family that someone I knew and loved was taking care of my baby. 

I love newborn baby yawns!


When I got home TR made me a "Utah Valley Home Care" whiteboard like the ones they had in the hospital noting that he was the nurse and Molly was the assistant nurse. It was so nice to have such a supportive husband when I was having such a hard time with not having my whole family under the same roof. There were many times where I left him and Molly to fend for themselves for a few hours while I went to feed Malcolm. I'm also so thankful for family and friends that were so supportive and came to stay with Molly after bed time, or took her for a few hours so both TR and I could go to the hospital, or so we could take a nap.


I was home for two full days before we were able to bring Malcolm home. While it was very hard for me to leave my baby, and really what felt like a piece of my heart, at the hospital, I think it was a blessing as well. Molly was VERY clingy once I got home. She didn't want me to leave her sight, and even took naps in my bed with me the very first day. She was mostly adjusted to me being home from being gone for two days by the time we brought Malcolm home. I think that helped her adjust to him much better.


Thursday, April 04, 2013

0 Comments: